Quake Champions free from 11th - 17th June

• Quake Champions was my first game in the series of quake) the game is very cool, dynamic and skill-dependent. Develops thinking in critical situations and conditioned reflexes. The gameplay reminded me of titanfall. On it very spectacular tournaments, even more spectacular, than on cs go (IMHO). I even had my favorite players: Belarusian Clawz (my countryman) and Swedish Toxiq. It is a pity that the PR company in the game is very weak. Yes, and the time of such games has passed( Now everyone loves casual games or a battle royale. I think that now there is a degradation of fps-genre

• I think that now there is a degradation of fps-genre

Exactly! Quake was the game which founded the competitive FPS scene and even the clan mentality. It was the first game, where players built clans and fought against each other. Pity, not many people know it. Then I would say welcome to the Quake community. It is one of the best if not the best gaming community. Most players are around 30 and the playerbase is very mature compared to other games. There are many groups and channels to help out new players with the basics of the game. I am trying to make a contribution here :) Besides Clawz there is another Belarusian player named Alexei "cYpheR" Yanushevsky :) You may check him out as well.

• 19-3 my first round ....

Started with Quake 2 on the classic PSX - Multitap 4 Players on 14" Screen.

My first stay awake night with my friends 1999 ...

The onboarding in QC is working fine now, as you play your first rounds against bots, until you reach a certain level and/or do your daily assignments. You will recognize them by their 0 pings and by their particular names:

- runNgun

- Cringe Fiesta

- CheeBeef

- DontHate

- ezPotat

- DieApotheke

- sturgidmurgrid

- Slambert

- NoMeGrites

- AbsolutePower

- Urkulele

• I am pretty sure I was playing against people because bots don't add you to tell you "F U" with death threats. I lol'd at the kid that added me then I reported his profile. His profile isn't active anymore. Unlike EA, Steam actually does take action on people.

Such players are very rare in Quake since the playerbase is pretty mature and everyone knows in what kind of game they are bringing themselves. Quake is a punishing game but if you don't give up it is extremly rewarding. A german player insulted me heavily today because i probably destroyed his fun :) New players can be frustrated very very fast and thats why the whole Quake community is welcoming and onboarding new people as good as they can at the moment. If needed I can advice some very useful Youtube/Discord channels and Twitch streams for new players. Here is a video from a Quake veteran for new players. It is the basics of Quake Champions in 11 minutes.

Being New Is Hard

• Such players are very rare in Quake since the playerbase is pretty mature and everyone knows in what kind of game they are bringing themselves. Quake is a punishing game but if you don't give up it is extremly rewarding. A german player insulted me heavily today because i probably destroyed his fun :) New players can be frustrated very very fast and thats why the whole Quake community is welcoming and onboarding new people as good as they can at the moment. If needed I can advice some very useful Youtube/Discord channels and Twitch streams for new players. Here is a video from a Quake veteran for new players. It is the basics of Quake Champions in 11 minutes.

Being New Is Hard

I think the matchmaking system is region based. I think I only get to play people from California or from another state in the USA. It is similar to COD with their peer-to-peer match making system. The farest country I ever played against was Mexico (south of the USA). I can never play with anyone outside of my country through the matchmaking system unless there is dedicated servers like with Battlefield Hardline.

I am not excited for Quake Champions because it's the kind of game that involves lots of jumping around and killing people. This can get repetitive for me very quickly. There's no convincing objective for me to keep playing in QC.

I used to play in CPL for Counter Strike 1.6 and World Cyber Games 2004 & 2006 for Counter Strike 1.6 and Condition Zero. My team's goal is to have fun and see how far we can get by messing around. Winning is not a priority for us. In counter strike, I would drop the bomb out in the open. The Counter Terrorists would get confused and try to camp it to prevent us from taking it back. We would flanked them from behind and slaughter them all. We would go AFK in the beginning of the round to let the other team win once then annihilate them for the rest of the match. This shady trick caused a lot of teams to rage. Rescue two hostages and shoot the remaining two through the wall and win the round on cs_militia. Two in the kitchen are easy to get but the other two are in the garage, which is a death trap. Back then the rules were basic (auto sniper was allowed) and nothing compared to how ESL enforces rules in Counter Strike: You cannot kill a hostage to win the round, you either rescue all four or kill all Terrorists. No auto-sniper. No this. No that. We used math to shoot people through the warehouse's wall on CS_assault with the camera truck that is in the CT's spawn. We practiced this in our own server. It surprisingly does work. Also, in order to get a headshot kill through the wall, the AWP has to hit the person's left or right side of the face (one or the other) for an instant kill through the wall. When it came down to 1 versus 1, whoever is still alive would slash the wall to get a knife fight going then he would switch to his gun and shoot the person for the lulz. We would win, and they would lose. This trick only works once, since everyone else is watching you as you play with your team.

I have also played in tournaments for Alien vs. Predator 2 (2001 version made by Fox Interactive), Quake, Unreal Touranment, StarCraft: Brood War, Command & Conquer Generals, and Half-Life 1 and Half-Life: Opposing Force. I also played Goldeneye and Perfect Dark on the Nintendo 64. I won an Alienware Gaming Laptop with an Intel Pentium 4 in a tournament for Alien vs. Predator 2 while playing against Fata1lity and some other random people. I won Gamestop/Funcoland Gift Certificates for Perfect Dark challenges like how many dark bots you can kill in a game with only golden magnums (kinda like the Golden Gun in Goldeneye except in a magnum with 6 shots). Getting the most kills in the game. I threw the laptop gun's sentry mode right above a spawn point on this one map where the person spawned but had to open a door to go out. They always get spawn killed before the door would open. I easily racked up 20+ kills ahead of everyone. There were also speed runs for missions in Goldeneye on 007 Agent difficulty. I remember no one beat the Control Room mission because Natalya would either get killed or get stuck somewhere. Someone won a James Bond watch replica with a working laser pointer and when you turn the seconds dial for the remote mines/bombs to go off, the watch make a beep like in the movies. Obviously, it didn't trigger any real life bombs.

If you want some hardcore quake tips, I can post them for you. These tips are probably not in any of the YouTube videos. They might be on a website, but they are probably are dead.

• [...]while playing against Fata1lity and some other random people.

You mean Fatal1ty. Like I mentioned before, it's sad to hear Quake isn't for you. Every new player is a win for the Quake community. What was your ingame name? CampToKill again?

Whoever has the game, liked it and will play now and then, feel free to add me: Opt1X (my ingame name, not my steam name)

• Hi guys,

people who know me, know that I am a big arena FPS fan/lover, because I "grew up" with the games of id Software and Epic Games, such as Doom, Wolfenstein, Unreal and Quake. I am especially a big fan of Unreal Tournament and Quake, the "alpha males" of this beautiful FPS genre. Since the playerbase is very small, I am trying to bring as many people as possible into these games. Since Quake is pretty much the last representative of AFPS, I wanted to let you all know that Quake Champions is permanently free on steam!

As Revan mentioned in his post, QC is now permanently free on steam.

There are bots in the game now. So new players won't get stomped by veterans but they will play against same skilled players or entirely against bots if they want. So who missed my post and wants to give it a (new) try, check it out on steam!

Now and then I try to explain my friends, who don't know arena FPS, why I am so fascinated by this genre. I think I finally found a video, which perfectly sumarizes my thoughts and gives a brief overview to the topic: